Care Health

Prioritize Healthy life

Second Legacy Health employee injured in fatal NW Portland hospital shooting was hit by shrapnel

Second Legacy Health employee injured in fatal NW Portland hospital shooting was hit by shrapnel

The shooting Saturday at Portland’s Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center that left a security guard dead also injured another hospital employee, who was hit by shrapnel, officials said.

The person was treated at the hospital and sent home Saturday, Legacy Health said in a statement. The company did not identify the person injured or what job they had at the hospital.

“We are grateful for our employee’s recovery and to our providers, nurses and staff who cared for our injured staff member after Saturday’s tragic incident,” Legacy Health said.

Most areas of the hospital are operating as normal Sunday, but the birthing center will be closed until further notice, Legacy Health said.

Portland police officers responded to the hospital just before 11 a.m. Saturday. The initial emergency call came from Good Samaritan security, reporting that “someone visiting a patient verbally threatened hospital staff.”

Police found Bobby Smallwood, a Legacy Health security guard, wounded and began treatment. He was transferred to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center, which is a Level 1 Trauma Center. There, “he died despite additional lifesaving treatment efforts,” police said.

Officers closed off streets surrounding Good Samaritan while police searched the area for a suspect they believed had left the building after firing shots on the hospital’s fifth floor. The search went on for several hours, and included evacuating a nearby Fred Meyer, but police did not find the suspect.

Shortly after 1 p.m., numerous police cars converged in the middle of Northeast 181st Avenue near Glisan Street in Gresham.

Portland and Gresham police stopped the suspect’s vehicle, a white-and-maroon van, outside of the U.S. Bank on 181st. Multnomah County sheriff’s deputies arrived shortly after.

The suspect did not cooperate, and three Portland officers “used deadly force,” police said. The suspect was shot and killed.

Bystanders in the area said there was a standoff between the suspect and police, followed by gunshots.

Police are investigating the motive for the shooting at the hospital.

Investigators ask anyone with information on the hospital shooting to contact Detective Jeff Sharp at [email protected] 503-823-9773 or Detective JD McGuire at [email protected] and reference case number 23-192301.

Anyone with information about the police shooting is asked to contact Detectives Fred Huffman at [email protected] or Lindsay Friderich at [email protected] or call the tip line at (503)618-2719 or (888)989-3505.

– Austin De Dios; [email protected]; @austindedios; 503-319-9744

Our journalism needs your support. Please become a subscriber today at OregonLive.com/subscribe